PART - I
The High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) is an Ionospheric research program jointly funded by the US Air Force, the US Navy, the University of Alaska and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). Its purpose is to analyze the Ionosphere and investigate the potential for developing Ionospheric enhancement technique for radio communications and surveillance purposes. The HAARP program is operating a major Arctic facility, known as the HAARP Research Station, on an Air Force owned site near Gakona, Alaska.
The most prominent instrument at the HAARP Station is the Ionospheric Research Instrument (IRI), a high power radio frequency transmitter facility operating in the high frequency (HF) band. The IRI is used to temporarily excite a limited area of the Ionosphere. Other instruments, such as a VHF and a UHF radar, a fluxgate magneto meter, a digisonde and an induction magneto meter, are used to study the physical processes that occur in the excited region. Work on the HAARP Station began in 1993. The current working IRI was completed in 2007 and its prime contractor was BAE Advanced Technologies. As of 2008, HAARP had incurred around $250 million in tax-funded construction and operational costs. HAARP has also been blamed by conspiracy theorists for a range of events, including numerous natural disasters.
An environmental impact statement led to permission for an array of up to 180 antennas to be erected. The HAARP has been constructed at the previous site of an over-the-horizon radar (OTH) installation. A large structure, built to house the OTH now houses the HAARP control room, kitchen, and offices. Several other small structures house various instruments. The HAARP site has been constructed in three distinct phases:-
- The Developmental Prototype (DP) had 18 antenna elements, organized in three columns by six rows. It was fed with a total of 360 kilowatts (kW) combined transmitter output power. The DP transmitted just enough power for the most basic of Ionospheric testing.
- The Filled Developmental Prototype (FDP) had 48 antenna units arrayed in six columns by eight rows, with 960 kW of transmitter power. It was fairly comparable to other Ionospheric heating facilities. This was used for a number of successful scientific experiments and Ionospheric exploration campaigns over the years.
- The Final IRI (FIRI) is the final build of the IRI. It has 180 antenna units, organized in 15 columns by 12 rows, yielding a theoretical maximum gain of 31 dB. A total of 3.6 MW of transmitter power will feed it, but the power is focused in the upward direction by the geometry of the large phased array of antennas which allow the antennas to work together in controlling the direction. By March 2007, all the antennas were in place, the final phase was completed and the antenna array was undergoing testing aimed at fine-tuning its performance to comply with safety requirements required by regulatory agencies. The facility officially began full operations in its final 3.6 MW transmitter power completed status in mid-2007, yielding an effective radiated power (ERP) of 5.1 Gigawatts or 97.1 dBW at maximum output. However, the site typically operated at a fraction of that value due to the lower antenna gain exhibited at standard operating frequencies.
Established - 1993
Research Type - Unclassified
Field of Research - Ionosphere
Location - Gakona, Alaska
Director - John Heckscher
Affiliation - University of Alaska
Operating Agency - Office of Naval Research (ONR) and Air Force Research Laboratory
In America, there are two related Ionospheric heating facilities: the HIPAS, near Fairbanks, Alaska, and (currently offline for reconstruction) one at the Arecibo Observatory Link Text in Puerto Rico. The European Incoherent Scatter Scientific Association (EISCAT) operating an Ionospheric heating facility, capable of transmitting over 1 GW effective radiated power (ERP), near Tromso, Norway. Russia has the Sura Ionospheric Heating Facility, in Vasilsursk near Nizhniy Novgorod, capable of transmitting 190 MW ERP.
The HAARP project aims to direct a 3.6 MW signal, in the 2.8–10 MHz region of the HF [High Frequency] band, into the Ionosphere. The signal may be pulsed or continuous. Then, effects of the transmission and any recovery period can be examined using associated instrumentation, including VHF and UHF radars, HF receivers, and optical cameras. According to the HAARP team, this will advance the study of basic natural processes that occur in the Ionosphere under the natural but much stronger influence of solar interaction, as well as how the natural Ionosphere affects radio signals. This will enable scientists to develop techniques to mitigate these effects in order to improve the reliability and/or performance of communication and navigation systems, which would have a wide range of applications in both the civil and military sectors such as:-
- An increased accuracy of GPS navigation.
- Advancements in underwater and underground research and applications.
- This may lead to improved methods for submarine communications and the ability to remotely sense the mineral content of the terrestrial subsurface, among other things.
- One application would be to map out the underground complexes of countries.
- The current facility lacks the range to reach these countries, but the research could be used to develop a mobile platform.
- The HAARP program began in 1990. The project is funded by the Office of Naval Research and jointly managed by the ONR and Air Force Research Laboratory, with the principal involvement of the University of Alaska.Many other universities and educational institutions have been involved in the development of the project and its instruments, namely the University of Alaska (Fairbanks), Stanford University, Penn state University (ARL), Boston College, UCLA, Clemson University, Dartmouth College, Cornell University, Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland, College Park, University of Massachusetts, MIT, Polytechnic Institute of New York University, and the University of Tulsa. The project's specifications were developed by the universities, which are continuing to play a major role in the design of future research efforts.
- According to HAARP's management, the project strives for openness and all activities are logged and publicly available.Scientists without security clearances, even foreign nationals, are routinely allowed on site. The HAARP facility regularly (once a year on most years according to the HAARP home page) hosts open houses, during which time any civilian may tour the entire facility. In addition, scientific results obtained with HAARP are routinely published in major research journals (such as Geophysical Research Letters, or Journal of Geophysical Research), written both by university scientists (American and foreign) or by US Department of Defense research laboratory scientists. Each summer, the HAARP holds a summer-school for visiting students, including foreign nationals, giving them an opportunity to do research with one of the world's foremost research instruments.
Research at HAARP
- Research at the HAARP includes:-
- Ionospheric super heating.
- Plasma line observations.
- Stimulated electron emission observations.
- Gyro frequency heating research.
- Spread F observations.
- High velocity trace runs.
- Airglow observations.
- Heating induced scintillation observations.
- VLF and ELF generation observations.
- Radio observations of meteors.
- Polar Mesospheric Summer Echoes (PMSE) have been studied using the IRI as a powerful radar, as well as with the 28 MHz radar, and the two VHF radars at 49 MHz and 139 MHz. The presence of multiple radars spanning both HF and VHF bands allows scientists to make comparative measurements that may someday lead to an understanding of the processes that form these elusive phenomena.
- Research on extraterrestrial HF radar echoes: the Lunar Echo experiment (2008).
- Testing of Spread Spectrum Transmitters (2009).
- Meteor shower impacts on the Ionosphere.
- Response and recovery of the Ionosphere from solar flares and geomagnetic storms.
- The effectiveness of Ionospheric disturbances on GPS satellite signal quality.
- HAARP's main goal is basic science research of the uppermost portion of the atmosphere, known as the Ionosphere. Essentially a transition b/w the atmosphere and the magnetosphere, the Ionosphere is where the atmosphere is thin enough that the sun's x-rays and UV rays can reach it, but thick enough that there are still enough molecules present to absorb those rays. Consequently, the Ionosphere consists of a rapid increase in density of free electrons, beginning at ~70 km, reaching a peak at ~300 km, and then falling off again as the atmosphere disappears entirely by ~1000 km. Various aspects of HAARP can study all of the main layers of the Ionosphere.
- The profile of the Ionosphere, however, is highly variable, showing minute-to-minute changes, daily changes, seasonal changes, and year-to-year changes. This becomes particularly complicated near the Earth's poles, where a host of physical processes (like auroral lights) are unlocked by the fact that the alignment of the Earth's magnetic field is nearly vertical.
- On the other hand, the Ionosphere is traditionally very difficult to measure. Balloons cannot reach it because the air is too thin, but satellites cannot orbit there because the air is still too thick.Hence, most experiments on the Ionosphere give only small pieces of information. HAARP approaches the study of the Ionosphere by following in the footsteps of an Ionospheric heater called EISCAT near Tromso, Norway. There, scientists pioneered exploration of the Ionosphere by perturbing it with radio waves in the 2–10 MHz range, and studying how the Ionosphere reacts. HAARP performs the same functions but with more power, and a more flexible and agile HF beam. Some of the main scientific findings from HAARP include:-
- Generation of VLF radio waves by modulated heating of the auroral electro-jet, useful because generating VLF waves ordinarily require gigantic antennas.
- Production of weak luminous glow (below what can be seen with the naked eye, but measurable) from absorption of HAARP's signal.
- Production of ELF waves in the 0.1 Hz range. These are next to impossible to produce any other way, because the length of a transmit antenna is dictated by the wavelength of the signal it is designed to produce.
- Generation of whistler-mode VLF signals which enter the magnetosphere, and propagate to the other hemisphere, interacting with Van Allen radiation belt particles along the way.
- VLF remote sensing of the heated Ionosphere.
Instrumentation and Operation
- The main instrument at HAARP Station is the Ionospheric Research Instrument (IRI). This is a high power, high-frequency phased array radio transmitter with a set of 180 antennas, disposed in an array of 12x15 units that occupy a rectangle of about 33 acres (13 hectares). The IRI is used to temporarily energize a small portion of the Ionosphere. The study of these disturbed volumes yields important information for understanding natural Ionospheric processes.
- During active Ionospheric research, the signal generated by the transmitter system is delivered to the antenna array and transmitted in an upward direction. At an altitude b/w 70 km (43 mi) to 350 km (217 mi) (depending on operational frequency), the signal is partially absorbed in a small volume several tens of kms in diameter and a few meter thick over the IRI. The intensity of the HF signals in the Ionosphere is less than 3 µW/cm², tens of thousands of times less than the Sun's natural electromagnetic radiation reaching the earth and hundreds of times less than even the normal random variations in intensity of the Sun's natural ultraviolet (UV) energy which creates the Ionosphere. The small effects that are produced, however, can be observed with the sensitive scientific instruments installed at the HAARP Station, and these observations can provide information about the dynamics of plasma and insight into the processes of solar-terrestrial interactions.
- Each antenna elm consists of a crossed dipole that can be polarized for linear, ordinary mode (O-mode), or extraordinary mode (X-mode) transmission and reception. Each part of the two section crossed dipoles are individually fed from a custom built transmitter, that has been specially designed with very low distortion. The Effective Radiated Power (ERP) of the IRI is limited by more than a factor of 10 at its lower operating frequencies. Much of this is due to higher antenna losses and a less efficient antenna pattern.
- The IRI can transmit between 2.7 and 10 MHz, a frequency range that lies above the AM radio broadcast band and well below Citizens' Band frequency allocations. The HAARP Station is licensed to transmit only in certain segments of this frequency range, however. When the IRI is transmitting, the bandwidth of the transmitted signal is 100 kHz or less. The IRI can transmit in continuous waves (CW) or in pulses as short as 10 microseconds (µs). CW transmission is generally used for Ionospheric modification, while transmission in short pulses frequently repeated is used as a radar system. Researchers can run experiments that use both modes of transmission, first modifying the Ionosphere for a predetermined amount of time, then measuring the decay of modification effects with pulsed transmissions. There are other geophysical instruments for research at the Station. Some of them are:-
- A fluxgate magnetometer built by the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute, available to chart variations in the Earth's magnetic field. Rapid and sharp changes of it may indicate a Geomagnetic storm.
- A digisonde that provides Ionospheric profiles, allowing scientists to choose appropriate frequencies for IRI operation. The HAARP makes current and historic digisonde information available online.
- An induction magnetometer, provided by the University of Tokyo, that measures the changing geomagnetic field in the Ultra Low Frequency (ULF) range of 0–5 Hz.
Explanations of Some Important Subjects Related to HAARP
- In the absence of complete and thorough understanding of following facts it would be difficult for a lay man to comprehend the complex nature of the HAARP project and possible dangerous uses of the tech:
- GWEN towers work in conjunction with HAARP transmitters to create storms and alter weather patterns.
- Eastlund stated that his new invention could be used to change the weather by redirecting the very high wind patterns. The invention uses an earth-based power source to create electromagnetic radio waves and focus them way up into the atmosphere. Dr. Eastlund says the invention could steer the jet stream, but could also be used to disrupt communications all over the world.
- Eastlund also says you could construct ‘plumes of atmospheric particles to act as a lens or focusing device for sunlight. By being able to intensify and con light, one could heat a specific part of the earth and learn to manipulate local wind patterns. What this means, is that by controlling local weather patterns, one could, say, bring rain to Ethiopia or alter the summer storm pattern in the Caribbean.
- Because of the publicity about these aspects of the Eastlund- Arco patent, the US Government suppressed all further news about the invention’s weather-engineering features. Since about 1989, the invention has been disguised as a device for conducting “atmospheric research.
- Electric energy floats high over Alaska, where it is visible as the aurora borealis, a shimmering white, green and crimson curtain. These brilliant northern lights are the product of a huge natural generator that produces up to 10,000,000 megawatts of power as particles from the solar wind crash into the earth’s magnetic field. There are concentrated currents, called electro-jets that flow in the Ionosphere, and may sometimes reach millions of amperes. When the electro-jet touches earth, as it sometimes does during magnetic storms, it can knock out telephone cables and power grids.
- The most powerful pre-HAARP ELF Ionospheric heating system were constructed by the Soviet Union at sites in Sura, Goriky, Monchegorsk and Dushanbe (Tajikistan). Western pre-HAARP Ionospheric heating system are located in Tromso, Norway; Arecibo, Puerto Rico; near Fairbanks, Alaska; and at Platteville, Colorado. These systems together with the Russian Woodpecker Tesla Magnifying Transmitters, have created a severe alteration of global weather patterns beginning in 1976, but intensifying through the 1980s and 1990s, as more ELF transmitters were constructed.
- The new Gakona HAARP project is only the beginning stage of a much larger system. Later, the antenna array will be vastly expanded and radiate power of 1.7 GIGA Watts, making it the most powerful ELF transmitter in the world. As an aside, Tesla researcher Sheldon Nidle mentioned in his 1994 book “You are becoming a Galactic Human”.
- Tesla’s theories were being used by both the Soviet Union and the US to create a weather war that has continued from the mid-1970s to the present time.”
- The Ionosphereis a part of the upper atmosphere, comprising portions of the mesosphere, thermosphsre and exosphere, distinguished because it is ionized by solar radiation. It plays an important part in atmospheric electricity and forms the inner edge of the magnetosphere. It has practical importance because, among other functions, it influences radio propagation to distant places on the Earth.
- Digisonde (Ionospheric Sounding). In telecommunications and radio science, an Ionospheric soundingis a technique that provides real-time data on high-frequency Ionospheric-dependent radio propagation, using a basic system consisting of a synchronized transmitter and receiver. The time delay b/w transmission and reception is translated into effective Ionospheric layer altitude. Vertical incident sounding uses a collocated transmitter and receiver and involves directing a range of frequencies vertically to the Ionosphere and measuring the values of the reflected returned signals to determine the effective Ionosphere layer altitude. This technique is also used to determine the critical frequency. Oblique sounders use a transmitter at one end of a given propagation path, and a synchronized receiver, usually with an oscilloscope-type display (Ionogram), at the other end. The transmitter emits a stepped-or-swept-frequency signal; which is displayed or measured at the receiver. The measurement converts time delay to effective altitude of the Ionospheric layer. The Ionogram display shows the effective altitude of the Ionospheric layer as a function of frequency.
Its Important to Know That:
God has placed huge “rivers of water” in our atmosphere that rivers of water flow in the lower atmosphere. Scientists further discovered that there are five atmospheric rivers in the Northern Hemisphere and five more in the Southern Hemisphere. Each of these 10 rivers carries these flow rates mentioned below:
- These “rivers” are not actually condensed water, but are vapors that really flow. In other words, man cannot see them, nor realize when he is flying an airplane through them. But, these vapor rivers are enormous.
- Their flows rival the actual flow on Earth of the mighty Amazon River.
- These rivers of vapor are 420 to 480 miles wide and up to 4,800 miles long.
- These rivers of water are 1.9 miles above the earth.
- They have volumes of 165 million kgs of water [340 million pounds] per sec.
A Grave Danger to Earth
- Demonstrating the grave danger to this planet’s geomagnetic stability, the 1987 Eastlund patent (which is the basic design for the HAARP project) stated that “The earth’s magnetic field could be decreased or disrupted at appropriate altitudes to modify or eliminate the magnetic field.”
- “Richard Williams, a physicist at Princeton, stated that he thinks the Eastlund (HAARP) might become ‘a serious threat to the earth’s atmosphere’ and ‘could cause irreversible damage…effects in the atmosphere cannot be localized…the language of the patent indicates that it is clearly intended to provide effects on a global scale”.
- “The late geomagnetic researcher Lloyd Zirbes strongly opposed the technique utilized in the HAARP system. He wrote, ‘Disruption of the earth’s magnetic field will complete damages to the planet’s balance done by the Government’s nuclear bomb blasts in the natural radiation belts above the Ionosphere. Earth’s magnetic field keeps the planet in balance with the moon and sun. Disrupting the field will be the last straw in sending earth into the sun or out into space”.
- The combined effects of these transmitters, including the Russian Woodpecker, the new HAARP system, together with all the other ELF and VLF system (such as those in Michigan and the GWEN towers), are very dangerous. When operating simultaneously and during times of geomagnetic storms, they present a severe threat to the entire planet.
- The disruption of the earth’s internal dynamo, and the disruption and alteration of the upper atmospheric magnetic belts (which constitute the external part of the earth’s natural dynamo system), can create a premature reversal of the magnetic poles, worsen the newly discovered wobble of the earth’s spin and possibly create a total polar reversal or earth shift.
The Woodpecker Effects
- “An electromagnetic signal of certain frequencies can be transmitted through the earth which, when introduced into the earth at certain multiples of 30 degrees, will form standing waves in the earth itself. In certain incidence angle cases, the standing wave also induces a strange phenomenon: coherence to the standing wave is formed in the molten core of the earth itself, and a tiny fraction of the vast, surging electromagnetic currents of the liquid core begin to feed into and augment the induced standing wave.
- “At this point, one has established a sort of giant triode: the inducing signal one is putting into the earth is the grid signal, and the vast energy in the molten core of the earth is the cathode and power supply. The established coherence serves as an amplification factor for the grid signal, and much more energy is now present in the standing wave than the minuscule amount being fed in from the earth’s surface. By interferometer type techniques, multiple ‘giant resonance’ waves of this type can be combined so that a ‘beam’ or focused effect of very great energy exists inside the earth.
- “Depending on the frequency, focusing, wave shape, etc one can …induce a variety of effects such as earthquakes, induced at a distant aiming point, severe disturbances in the middle and upper atmosphere over the target area…and anomalous weather effects. This is called the Tesla Effect.”
- Unlike earlier periods, the earth is now much more vulnerable to outside astronomical influences. Today, powerful transmitters are interfering with, overriding and blanking out earth’s natural magnetic field. For the first time in human history, an ever-increased no of artificial ELF and VLF vibrations are disrupting earth’s natural internal and external electromagnetic system (which help to maintain planetary rotation, balance and stability). The newly discovered planetary wobble and sudden, abrupt slow-downs in rotation are only the beginning. The chances are now greatly increased that any asteroid or meteorite that hits the earth could set off such a destructive resonance that the planet could split (as Tesla predicted) or suffer a total polar shift.
- The severe threat to global stability created by the combined effects of the Woodpecker, HAARP, other Ionosphere-heating ELF, long wire ELF and GWEN tower system was demonstrated in T.E. Beardon’s book, “Fer-de-Lance”:
- “Any large collection of nuclei — such as a star or a planet — is a strong absorber and radiator of scalar wave radiation. The Sun is a particularly strong source of scalar wave radiation. This radiation penetrates the earth deeply, interacting more and more with the deeper layers, which under greater mechanical stress are more nonlinear. Most of the heat in the molten core of the earth comes from the de-phasing of a portion of this absorbed scalar radiation from the Sun, liberating ordinary electromagnetic energy as heat.
- “The Earth also re-radiates scalar wave radiation back to the Sun. The Sun and the Earth are thus coupled into a scalar system in equilibrium or near-equilibrium. Each body in the couplet possesses both a feed forward and a feedback loop.
Describing large electromagnetic weapons (such as Woodpecker and HAARP-like system), Bearden said:
- “The Earth also re-radiates scalar wave radiation back to the Sun. The Sun and the Earth are thus coupled into a scalar system in equilibrium or near-equilibrium. Each body in the couplet possesses both a feed forward and a feedback loop.”
- “If significant scalar effects are produced on Earth in a ‘pulse’ mode, pulsed disturbances of the Earth-Sun and Earth-Moon system result. Here a danger exists that one or more natural resonances of the coupled system may be excited. If too much or sharp stimulation occurs on Earth, the coupled resonant response from the Sun could be disastrous. The simplest Doomsday simulation would be for a violent expulsion of solar electromagnetic energy and particles to occur. If this were due to resonance, the expulsions of solar electromagnetic energy and particles would continue during some decay time. In that case, the fiery destruction of the Earth, strongly indicative of Biblical prophecy, would result. Particularly sensitive are the resonances of Sun-Earth, Sun-Moon and Earth-Moon system.
- “Note the abnormal influence of the Moon on tides — tides of both the Earth’s tectonic plates and oceans. If the Earth-Moon resonant systems were overstimulated, one might expect VIOLENT earthquakes of extraordinary magnitude, and tremendous tidal waves hundreds of feet in heights.
- “Use of huge scalar electromagnetic weapons (including US devices which interfere with God-given protective Van Allen and other external magnetic belts) is a double-edged sword. Unless carefully employ, use of the weapons could cause a terrible backlash to the user (as the Soviets discovered when the main power source for the Gomel Woodpecker transmitter at Chernobyl exploded in 1986), as well as the victim, and even cause the destruction of Earth itself.
- “With scalar electromagnetic weapons, the consequence of a relatively simple electronic failure can be catastrophic; not only for the local nation but for the earth as a whole. If an electro-gravitational pulse discharge happens to tickle the Sun’s and Moon’s [natural scalar electromagnetic] feedback loops the wrong way, you’ll get convulsions on the earth, and a violent increase in the interior heat of the Earth’s molten core, with a concomitant eruption of that core right up through the Earth’s mantle.”
HAARP is the subject of numerous conspiracy theories, with individuals ascribing various hidden motives and capabilities to the project. David Naiditch (a skeptic computer scientist) called HAARP " a magnet for conspiracy theorists", saying the project has been blamed for triggering catastrophes such as floods, droughts, hurricanes, thunderstorms, and devastating earthquakes in Pakistan and the Philippines aimed to shake up "terrorists." Naiditch says HAARP has been blamed for diverse events including major power outages, the downing of TWA Flight 800, Gulf War Syndrome, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Conspiracy theorists have also suggested links between HAARP and the work of Nikola Tesla (particularly potential combinations of HAARP energy with Tesla's work on pneumatic small-scale earthquake generation) and physicist Bernard Eastlund. According to Naiditch, HAARP is an attractive target for conspiracy theorists because "its purpose seems deeply mysterious to the scientifically uninformed". Conspiracy theorists have linked HAARP to numerous earthquakes. An opinion piece on a Venezuelan state-run television channel's website named HAARP as a cause of the 2010 Haiti earthquake. People even say that the popularity of conspiracy theories often overshadows the benefits HAARP may provide to the scientific community. Following have been conspired until now:
- The alleged dangers of HAARP were dramatized in popular culture by Marvel Comics, author Tom Clancy, and The X-Files.
- A Russian military journal wrote that Ionospheric testing would "trigger a cascade of electrons that could flip Earth's magnetic poles."
- The European Parliament and the Alaska state legislature held hearings about HAARP, the former citing "environmental concerns."
- Author of the self-published Angels Don't Play This HAARP, Nick Begich even said that HAARP could trigger earthquakes and turn the upper atmosphere into a giant lens so that "the sky would literally appear to burn”.
PART - II
HISTORY & APPLICATIONS OF HAARP TECHNIQUES
A serious review of HAARP is presented. On the surface, HAARP appears to be a nice military "scientific endeavor aimed at studying the properties and behavior of the Ionosphere". Upon further investigation, HAARP appears to be filled with secrecy and fraught with possible severe dangers. Attempts to reopen an official assessment of this program and its old out-dated unclassified Environmental Impact Statement have thus far failed. HAARP appears to be in use by ARCO to sell natural gas to the military that would otherwise be trapped in Alaska. The HAARP patents imply that Billions of Watts could easily be used to power HAARP, with no or few equipment upgrades. The patents are now owned by a major military contractor. Many of the possible applications, as stated in the actual patents support HAARP, would be classified. An Independent Review Committee needs to be formed to access the possible dangers of the various real and possibly classified HAARP projects. This Committee needs to be independent from US Federal Politics, Alaska State Politics, the US military, and ARCO oil interests, and would probably need to report to both the Congress and the Senate. There is a great need to form this Review Committee, and the time to form it is NOW!
The High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) looks like a harmless research project - especially when first viewed from a limited exterior view point. However, when viewed from a wider perspective and with more detailed supporting data and information, HAARP begins to look more complex and even very secret and covert. It is not the intent of this paper to debate or discredit the existing project. Rather, the intention is to raise honest questions and concerns about an on-going project whose actual operations may indeed be secret. As free citizens, it is our duty to openly question and find out what we are allowing others to do, especially if they can affect us on a large-scale and perhaps on a world-wide basis!
It must be truthfully recalled that in almost all of the US military programs of the past 20 years or so, the public has been allowed to know only a small amount of the information that was really known about those programs and the public was certainly told none of the dangers involved. From the Trinity atomic bomb tests, to other nuclear blast tests, to the storage of high-level nuclear wastes, to the use of chemicals in Vietnam, to the use of chemicals in Iraq, to the effects of high velocity aircraft being used today the public was told nothing of the dangers, and later had to live with and are now living with the consequences.
On Nov. 3, 1993, the U.S. Air Force announced that the prime contractor on the first phase of the HAARP project was ARCO Power Technologies, Inc. (APTI). At that time the project was put out for bids, APTI was a subsidiary of Atlantic Richfield Oil Company (ARCO) and owned the patent rights to various patents pertaining to the HAARP project, such as those invented by Bernard J. Eastlund. How did a small subsidiary get the military contract for such a large project? One that was five times large than APTI's annual budget? The answer seems to lie in the patents owned at the time by APTI.
And why should ARCO be interested or involved?
ARCO is one of the largest employers in Alaska, where it is primarily involved in the North Slope oil fields. As ARCO oil is a major industry there, the Alaska State government has been very supportive of the HAARP Program. The University of Alaska has also benefited from this program in several ways, and would also be supportive of HAARP (Begich and Manning, 1995).
In those ARCO oil fields, the natural gas is re-injected into the Earth rather than "flared" off or produced for use, as done in most other oil fields around the world. The re-injected gas increases the oil field pressure and thus creates enhanced oil production. No market for this natural gas exists, as it would be very expensive to pipe it from there to market in the US. The HAARP site is close to an already granted right-of-way for a future Trans-Alaska gas Pipeline! All of the significant regulatory hurdles have been passed for constructing the gas line should markets be found.
Does HAARP and its possible military mission represent a huge natural gas market for ARCO?
At its present stage, HAARP does not represent a high energy consumer in terms of input power for ARCO. The first two phases of the project may not have consumed more than one to ten Mega-Watts of power.
However: What about the future? If the project follows the plans outlined in the patents and what the project planners may want, the power demands could SHARPLY increase to ARCO's advantage. The patents talk about using billions of Watts of power. The HAARP Home Page references 3.6 billion Watts! Who would stop such a project if it its power levels got that far?
And the story gets more involved. After the HAARP contract was awarded to APTI, APTI was sold to E-Systems in June 1994, under undisclosed terms. That is interesting in that APTI is reported to have shown no net income since it opened in the late 1980's. E-Systems changed the name of the company to Advanced Power Technologies Incorporated (a different APTI, yet the same spelling as in the patents), and assumed control of the patents and the HAARP project. E-systems is also one of the largest intelligence contractors in the U.S. The value in this sale seems to be the patents and the HAARP contract.
In 1995, Raytheon Corporation was reported to have bought and acquired E-Systems for $2.3 Billion (Wall Street Journal, 1995). Raytheon is a very large company with several large military contracts, some of course classified. What is Raytheon doing with HAARP? The value of the HAARP program may only be found in its patents.
Purpose and Objectives of HAARP
The official "Purpose and Objectives of the HAARP Program" states that, "HAARP is a scientific endeavor aimed at studying the properties and behavior of the Ionosphere, with particular emphasis on being able to understand and use it to enhance communications and surveillance systems for both civilian and defense purposes.
The HAARP program is committed to developing a world class Ionospheric research facility consisting of:
- The Ionospheric research instrument (IRI), a high power transmitter facility operating in the HF range.
- The IRI will be used to temporarily excite a limited area of the Ionosphere for scientific study.
- Diagnostic instruments that will be used to observe the physical processes that occur in the excited region.
- Observations of the processes resulting from the use of the IRI in a controlled manner will allow scientists to better understand processes that occur continuously under the natural stimulation of the sun.
- In addition, diagnostics installed at the HAARP facility will be useful for a variety of other research purposes including the study of global warming and ozone depletion.
What about possible negative consequences of HAARP?
It may be that our best source of future data regarding the truth about HAARP will only come from the internet. While it is important to support our country's military and our own national defense, it is more important to question the effects of our research projects and the authorities of those in whom we have placed our trust. It is not only our right, IT IS OUR DUTY! It is hoped that data will also come from those involved with the truth and details of the real operational goals of the project.
"Q: Are there any health hazards due to fields produced by HAARP?
A: The health and safety of the public (and of the scientific researchers who will be present at the site) has been a primary focus in the design of the HAARP IRI. There are no locations on-site where the E-M fields exceed safety standards for RFR exposure as defined by IEEE/ANSI C95.1-1992 and NCRP Report No 86. In fact, the E-M fields measured at the closest public access to the site are lower than those existing in many urban environments. We have provided a more detailed look at this issue in a separate page on HAARP E-M Safety.
Q: Will HAARP be used to generate ELF?
A: Previous experience at other facilities has shown that it is possible to generate a small but useful ELF signal through Ionospheric heating. This field will be more than one and a half billion times weaker than the Earth's background field and about one million times weaker than the level where researchers have reported biological effects in the literature. The field is so weak, in fact, that sophisticated instruments must be used to observe it, yet it is still quite useful for many applications. Also see the ELF section for a thorough discussion of this aspect of Ionospheric research.
Q: What about radio frequency interference?
A: Analyses conducted during the environmental impact process suggest that radio frequency interference could occur for receiver systems that operate in the areas surrounding Gakona. However, other facilities similar to the HAARP IRI and its diagnostic instruments have achieved compatibility with other users of the radio frequency environment. The government is committed to achieve compatibility with other users of the electromagnetic spectrum and an electromagnetic compatibility program has been established to assure this goal is achieved.
Q: How large will the HAARP IRI be when it is complete?
A: When it is completed, the HAARP IRI will consist of 180 antennas on a total land area of about 23 acres. The final facility will have a total transmitter power of about 3,600 killowatts. This is the last phase of the project and is the maximum size that was approved (and the maximum size that can be constructed) in accordance with the Environmental Impact Process. We have provided a comparison of the various phases of the IRI throughout the program, from the initial prototype up to and including the final facility.
Q: Can HAARP be used for military purposes?
A: The HAARP facility will be used for basic and applied research related to the study of the Earth's Ionosphere. It is not designed to be an operational system for military purposes. The HAARP specifications were developed by a consortium of universities to meet the requirements for a world-class research facility and an expanded group of universities are playing a major role in the design of future research efforts. Administratively, HAARP is restricted to operate only on a "not to interfere" (NIB) basis by the NTIA and is classified as an experimental station in the NTIA spectrum certification document."
Note: It is a major concern of many scientists and researchers that perhaps these questions and answers do not cover all of the ground that the HAARP Program itself plans to cover during its operations in future years - especially when the power dramatically increases !
"ARCO Power Technologies Incorporated (APTI) held twelve patents, all of which were linked to Star Wars defense systems. APTI was the main contractor on the first phase of the HAARP project. These patents represented technologies which were inconsistent with the normal activities of Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO), the patent organization of APTI. In ARCO's 1994 annual report, no mention of APTI or the HAARP contract was found. Apparently ARCO was not in the kind of technology and military construction contacting business suggested by this technology. APTI was an anomalous subsidiary of ARCO, with ARCO having no real expertise, outside of APTI, for developing these kinds of patents." "This writer believes that ARCO did not want to be involved in the defense industry development of these patents. After all, they were just looking for a market for natural gas. Gas on the North Slope of Alaska was the issue for ARCO. The cost of a pipeline and related facilities needed to move the gas to southern Alaska was estimated at more than $20 billion, pricing the gas out of the market. So APTI acquired the twelve patents and a potentially lucrative market." (Begich and Manning, 1995, pp. 111-124).
An information packet containing all twelve patents is available (Begich, N., current). For your information and for public release, here are those twelve patents. Note carefully the titles of HAARP Patents (Assigned to APTI, Inc.):
- Method And Apparatus For Altering A Region In The Earth's Atmosphere, Ionosphere, and / or Magnetosphere (U.S. Patent 4686605).
- Method For Producing A Shell Of Relativistic Particles At An Altitude Above The Earth's Surface (U.S. Patent 5038664).
- Method And Apparatus For Creating An Artificial Electron Cyclotron Heating Region Of Plasma (U.S. Patent 4712155).
- Power Beaming System (U.S. Patent 5068669).
- Power Beaming System With Printer Circuit Radiating Elements Having Resonating Cavities (U.S. Patent 5218374).
- Folded Cross Grid Dipole Antenna Element (U.S. Patent 5293176).
- Lightweight Focusing Reflector For Space (U.S. Patent 5202689).
- Artificial Ionospheric Mirror Composed Of A Plasma Layer Which Can Be Tilted (U.S. Patent 5041834).
- Creation Of Artificial Ionization Clouds Above The Earth (U.S. Patent 4999637).
- High Resolution Directional Gamma Ray Detector (U.S. Patent 4954709).
- Defense System For Discriminating Between Objects In Space (U.S. Patent 4817495).
- Nuclear-Sized Explosions Without Radiation (U.S. Patent 4873928).
The HAARP project is different than other "atmospheric heaters" in that the Eastlund device in Patent 4,686,605 (para a above) would allow a concentration of one Watt per cc in the atmosphere, compared to other heaters that are only able to deliver about one-millionth of a Watt per cc. This is a huge difference to other devices, and patents, which was "sufficient to cause movement of a plasma region along said diverging magnetic field lines to an altitude higher than the altitude at which said excitation was initiated", as per amendment to the original patent application in order to receive the subsequent patent.
A review of the other patent titles shows that one application of this technology may be Power Beaming; Patents 5,068,669, (para d above) 5,218,374, (para e above) & 5,202,689 (para g above): Transmitting the power represented by the Alaskan ARCO natural gas fields into the atmosphere to be received by appropriate receiver stations in other locations! Clearly, such applications would be initially classified.
Patent 5,041,834 (para h above) creates an Artificial Ionospheric Mirror that could be used for over-the-horizon radar and other such communications for the military over great distances. It could also be used to locate with high accuracy and possible resolution incoming objects.
The other patents deal primary with components of the well-known "Star Wars "systems, and could provide other applications in particle beam technology, space-based defense, and plasma laser-like weapons.
It appears that ALL of these potential applications could be classified by the military in support of the National Defense.
Possible Hidden Agendas
How much power would be enough?
The HAARP project is designed so that the power can be increased without the replacement of any of the projects physical parts. The proof-of-concept phase of the project could easily turn into a full weapons system or power transmission system phase.
Phase one of the project began in Dec. 1994, and ended in 1995, with an estimated effective-radiated power of one Gigawatt. The second phase is set to increase the power several times of "at least 100 dbW", or about 10 Billion Watts of power.
As the antenna gain of HAARP is about 1000, the actual input power required to generate 10 Billion Watts of effective-radiated power would be about 10 Million Watts of generated input power.
This concept was illustrated by Princeton, NJ, physicist Dr. Richard Williams, while commenting on his view of the HAARP project in Nov. 1994:
"My main objection to HAARP is that they intend to dump electromagnetic radiation into the upper atmosphere at very high power levels...The radiated power level will be between '90 dbW and 100 dbW'...They refer at one point to the need to go 'at least' to 100 dbW. One way to visualize this power level is that a 10-billion Watt generator running continuously for one hour, would deliver a quantity of energy equal to that of a Hiroshima-size atomic bomb."
A few scientists and researchers also think that the use of HAARP has already been extended to NASA missions, such as the ill-fated "Tethered Satellite". The use of such a tether could easily be used to receive power transmitted by HAARP. The fact that tether melted and broke during deployment was probably not due to HAARP, but rather due to our own current lack of technical understanding of the electro-magnetic physics that apply in the upper atmosphere.
According to these and other patents, and the various references cited below, the possible applications of HAARP at these higher power levels are:
- Power Beaming to the Earth.
- Power Beaming to Orbital Satellites and to Space Stations.
- Sunlight Reflection.
- Charged Particle Acceleration.
- Beam Weapon.
- Over-the-Horizon Radar.
- Long Distance Communications.
- ELF and VLF Communications.
What the actual dangers that HAARP poses are of course under some debate.
However: There is a big difference between what the dangers of the "Current HAARP Program" are, and what the dangers of the "Future HAARP Program" are! There is also a major difference between the dangers of a non-classified project and those posed by a large classified project whose scope and details are not made available to the general public!
It must be recalled that the entire HAARP Environmental Impact Statement was written in 1993 for the initial phases of the program, with the use of the lower power levels. This Environmental Impact Statement DOES NOT address the effects of the higher power levels that are planned for HAARP or any classified project applications.
Even attempts to obtain background material on HAARP have met with official resistance and refusal. An official request for the proceedings of the government workshop on HAARP, "Presentations from the HAARP Workshop on Ionospheric Heating Diagnostics" in 1991 met with an official denial of the public's right to obtain that information.
A "Formal letter that the United States Air Force prepare a supplement to the July 1993 HAARP Final Environmental Impact Statement" has been submitted to the HAARP Project and even to the President of the US, without visible effects.
The effects of HAARP on the weather are completely unknown. "Weather Modification" is a very interesting subject, and if it existed, would absolutely become a classified project, in the interest of National Security. The effect of heating the jet stream over Alaska could have profound results on the weather in Denver or Miami, depending on the time of year and the original position of the jet stream over Alaska. To say that HAARP cannot or will not influence the weather is not true. How much it will influence the weather is also not known.
Also, we know that earthquakes occur when tectonic plates shift. What would be the effect of massive ionized power coming from the Earth's atmosphere into the Earth's core? Could it be enough to trigger slight or major earthquakes? Perhaps.
ELF (Extremely Low Frequencies) and VLF (Very Low Frequencies) communications are also controversial topics of discussion. While the military currently uses such low frequencies within the Earth and the oceans to communicate with submarines world-wide, the use of the atmosphere for such communications may produce disastrous effects on insects, birds, animals, and humans.
In addition, several other researchers have pointed out that in the future operational phases of the program, EMF waves will be produced within the atmosphere that are in the same frequency band as human brain waves. Our conscious and unconscious activities have been found to be controlled by brain waves in the range from 1 to about 35 Hz. Our conscious activity is regulated by brain waves in the 14-35 Hz range (Beta). Our unconscious and higher conscious activity is in the range of 8-14 Hz (Alpha). Our relaxed and deeply relaxed states are in the ranges of 4-8 Hz (Theta) and 1-4 Hz (Delta). As the frequency decreases, the effect is more pronounced and more unconscious. The effect of large power EM radiations pulsing though the atmosphere on living creatures and human consciousness in these frequency ranges is completely unknown. It has also been shown that both ELF and VLF radiations can affect and entrain human brain wave patterns in ways that are against that of the individual's will.
Several researchers have already noted major adverse effects that have occurred in Alaska since the beginning of the HAARP experimentation program, and they point to HAARP as the only cause. Researchers have estimated that such radiations will be similar to those found under power-lines, and much more severe, as the frequency will be more attuned to life functions and brain waves. One researcher is quoted as saying that insects and other life forms that depend upon using their antenna will be affected world-wide.
A list of the possible dangers include:
- ELF and VLF Pollution.
- Disastrous Resonance Effects in Living Systems.
- Affects on Living Things.
- Affects on Insects.
- Affects on Human Brain Waves.
- Weather Disasters.
- Natural Disasters.
- General public is not being told the truth about the HAARP Program.
- Alaska politics will always be supportive of HAARP.
- The military will always be in support of HAARP.
- The military advantages could be significant.
- The real dangers are completely unknown & could be very large in several areas.
- The dangers to life may out weigh the military advantages.
Information Sources & Acknowledgements
Information on HAARP has come primarily from the following major sources:-
- The official HAARP Project Information and Data (HAARP Home Page, current).
- The "HAARP HF Active Auroral Research Progm Joint Services Program Plans And Activities" (HAARP, Feb. 1990).
- A book by Dr. Nick Begich and Jeane Manning that outline the status and possible dangers of HAARP (Begich and Manning, 1995).
- A summary of that book in an Australian review article entitled "HAARP: Vandalism in the Sky?" (Nexus Mag., Jan. 1996).
- The Patents that been identified that support HAARP (Patents, IBM, current).
- Other related information from the internet, such as wikipedia, the "Alternate HAARP Page" (Padberg, J., current), "The HAARP Game Home Page" (un-authored, current), and "HAARP: Specific Proj Goals Taken From The Major HAARP Patent With Comments" (un-authored, Sept. 1996).
- On-going internet website information and UseNet postings found using search engines on HAARP.
- Further detailed information can also be obtained in a newsletter on this topic (Begich, N., current).
- The information, data, and support provided by Nick Begich and Jeane Manning, individuals listed in the References, and other writers and net-workers is gratefully acknowledged.
Researched by: Saeed Muhammad
Paper Presented in Nov 2010